COVID-19 RESOURCES & SUPPORT
We believe everyone deserves access to affordable credit—especially during times of crisis. We’re committed to providing better loans that help establish credit history and resources that strengthen financial wellness. Our commitment remains strong during this difficult time, and our hearts go out to all those affected by the coronavirus.
Worried about making a payment?
We can help. If you’re impacted by COVID-19, we offer a number of payment options, including reduced payments and deferrals, depending on your situation. Plus, because we know how important your credit score is, we won’t report any skipped payments as late if you make arrangements with us in advance.* Please call, text, or email so we can help.
We know our services are essential to you. Whether you are sheltering in place or need to come in to see us, you can count on us.
- Log in to your online account to view your balance or make payments
- Make a payment with your debit card, Apple Pay, or see all payment options
- Apply for a loan
By phone & text
- Call 866-488-6090
- Text 650-425-3419 to find out your loan balance, payment amount, due date, or to make a payment; please use the phone number we have on file (standard rates apply)
Our doors are open. To keep everyone safe and healthy, we’re cleaning surfaces multiple times a day with high-grade disinfectant, sanitizing our hands after each transaction, and staying home when we aren’t feeling well. You may notice that we are:
- Enforcing social distancing of six feet
- Limiting the number of people inside a location
- Adding plexiglass sneeze guards to our countertops
- Providing hand sanitizer
- Wearing face masks
Remember, you can also pay in person at hundreds of other essential businesses such as Walmart, Kmart, 7-Eleven, CVS, and other grocery stores and pharmacies that accept CheckFree Pay, MoneyGram, or PayNearMe payments.
Resources & government assistance
When things get tough, many people, organizations, and government services step up to help the people hit hardest. We’re keeping an eye out for great resources and updating this list with information about:
- Who’s hiring
- Health & wellness tips
- Personal finance & tax information
- Government assistance & benefits
Local COVID-19 support
Find local nonprofit and government programs through our friends at SpringFour that can help with:
- Emergency food assistance, such as school lunch substitutes and government food benefits programs
- Financial health and recovery, such as government benefits and ways to save on utilities and expenses
- Health guidance from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and others
Our partner UnidosUS offers free financial coaching to all our customers. Call for advice on how to pull through this pandemic.
Keeping your information secure
Cyber criminals are taking advantage of the coronavirus pandemic to exploit others—stealing their identities, dipping into bank accounts, or squirreling away personal information. To avoid fraud and scams:
- Be careful giving out personal information, even when it appears to come from a legitimate source; this is a common tactic of cyber criminals
- Do not respond to suspicious emails or text messages
- Do not click on suspicious links or open email attachments from unknown senders
- Use strong, unique passwords: the best passwords are at least 14 characters long and include numbers and symbols; free password manager programs can also help
- Be careful using public wi-fi: anyone connected to the same network can listen in to what your computer is sending and receiving across the internet
Oportun will never ask you for confidential information over email, including usernames or passwords.
Supporting our community
The needs in our community continue to grow. We’ve committed a total of $250,000 in donations to those directly addressing this pandemic, including $150,000 in charitable grants to community-based nonprofits serving families impacted by COVID-19 and a $100,000 grant to our own Oportun Employee Assistance Fund.
Caring for our employees
We’re committed to promoting the health and livelihoods of our 3,000+ employees. We’ve taken proactive steps to expand the benefits we provide to help them through this challenging time. We are:
- Providing team members with additional paid leave if they or their loved ones are exposed to COVID-19 or become sick
- Reimbursing our customer-facing team members during the first 5 months of the pandemic for extra childcare expenses due to COVID-19 school and daycare closures
- Bringing team members together on “Oportun Connect,” a new platform launched in April 2020, that provides opportunities to connect, learn, and pursue wellness
- Providing team members the opportunity to access salary advances and apply for grants to help address financial challenges
- Taking steps to help ensure no one at Oportun is laid off